Outlook Issue 26 Winter 2018
News and Views from St. Mary's Woodbridge
         Pages
Prev     Next
Local artist wins Royal Academy award
Local artist wins Royal Academy award Woodbridge artist Mark Beesley has won the prestigious Hugh Casson Drawing Prize at this year’s Royal Academy Summer Exhibition, for his drawing ‘Mock Tudor’. The picture features a set of 1930s suburban houses in Nottingham, all slightly different but with the same Mock Tudor style. ‘I’ve always been interested in architecture and the built environment,’ says Mark. ‘The houses are designed in a Tudor country cottage style, each distinctive while also conforming to the group.’ The Summer Exhibition, now in its 250th year, is open to professional and amateur artists who, if successful, get to see their work hung alongside that of Royal Academicians like David Hockney, Peter Blake and Tracy Emin. This year around 20,000 works were submitted, of which less than 1,000 were hung. They were selected by a jury of RA members under the overall direction of Grayson Perry. There are ten prizes awarded for works in different categories; the Hugh Casson prize is for £5,000. Sir Hugh Casson, the eminent architect who co-ordinated the Festival of Britain in 1951, was also a well-known illustrator and President of the Royal Academy. Aside from his award winning art, Mark has worked as a professional illustrator, producing interpretative information designs for a variety of public facilities and buildings. He and his wife Jenny have lived in Woodbridge for over 20 years and are regular members of St Mary’s Church congregation. Mark’s latest print – an aerial view of the Market Square – is currently on sale in St Mary’s Shop. For further information on his work, visit markbeesleyart.com or contact him on hmarkbeesley@btinternet.com. Nick Cottam Diamond celebrations! Congratulations on 60 years of marriage to Tommy and Annette Tucker (above), who were married at Alton Parish Church, Staffordshire on 26 July 1958; and to Barbara and Derek Cole, who were married at St Bartholomew’s Church, Ipswich on 27 September 1958.