A Christmas Thought
During Advent and at Christmas lets think about people less fortunate than ourselves who may not have any family, friends, money or even somewhere to live. Let us remember to share the true spirit of Christmas, the wonderful story of the birth of Jesus and the importance of giving rather than receiving.
Sometimes its fun to make Christmas presents for your family and friends. Heres a recipe for some delicious chocolate fudge ~
You will need:
400g (1lb) granulated sugar
50g (2oz) butter
125ml ( pint) sweetened condensed milk
125ml ( pint) milk
3 tablespoons cocoa or 1 tablespoons coffee essence
Flan tin 18cm (7 inches) diameter
- Grease the flan tin with a piece of buttered paper.
- Put the sugar, butter, condensed milk, milk and cocoa or coffee essence together in a saucepan.
- Put the saucepan on the stove over a low heat and bring to the boil.
- Turn the heat down even lower and let the mixture bubble gently.
- The fudge mixture should not be allowed to cook for too long. When it has been gently bubbling for 20-25 minutes start testing. Drop a small amount, less than teaspoonful, into a cup of cold water. Gather the mixture together with your fingers and if it forms a soft ball the fudge is cooked.
- Remove the pan from the stove and beat the mixture with a fork until it thickens.
- Pour the fudge into the greased tray, mark the fudge in inch squares with a knife as soon as it is firm enough to hold the marking, and leave to set.