We are a parish church, dedicated to St Mary the Virgin, in the Diocese of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich. Our worship reflects the broad mainstream tradition of the Church of England, and, whilst emphasising the importance of liturgy within the catholic tradition, we aim to be inclusive in our understanding and approach to spirituality, theology and spiritual care.
The Rector's Annual Report for 2020 is available here
The Domesday Book records in 1086 that in "Wodebryge" there was "A church with 19 acres valued at 2 shillings" The indications are that this was a Saxon church, built probably at the close of the 10th century, so that there has been a church on this site for over a thousand years. The present building dates from the early part of the 15th century. For more on the history of this beautiful church, please go to the Suffolk Churches website. A detailed and illustrated guidebook is also available to buy at the back of church or from St Mary's Shop.
This symbol appears in the flint flushwork around the base of the church tower and the south porch and is repeated on St. Mary's Church Flag. It is known as the Sacred Monogram of the Blessed Virgin, and consists of the stylised letters AMR conjoined - the initial letters of Ave Maria Regina (Hail Mary Queen) - denoting Mary, the Mother of Jesus, Queen of Heaven. The idea of Mary as Queen of Heaven comes from Revelation 12.1-5, and is emphasised here by the crown and overarching sky. In fact, all five letters of the name MARIA can be deciphered in this motif.